Tuesday, May 4, 2010

.:The Evolution of the Eye:.

Please don't call CPS after reading this. (Didn't I just say that in a previous post? Yikes!) I promise I'm a good mom and my children are loved and cared for!

About a week and a half ago, I took the girls to Target. Usually I put Remi's car seat in the basket part of the cart, but I decided to let Reece sit back there. She's done it multiple times before, and we've never had any problems. We were going about our shopping, and last I saw, Reece was sitting in the basket part of the cart, eating her crackers, and drinking her water. We stop in an aisle for me to look at something. About 10 seconds later is when I hear the terrible sound. I just knew that Reece was no longer in the cart. I got to her as quickly as I could, and she started screaming almost immediately. Somehow she either fell out of the cart or was trying to climb out (based on the amount of climbing that is going on at our house lately, I'm guessing the latter). Her eye immediately started to swell up, and her mouth was bleeding where she had bit it. It was truly one of the most horrible moments ever.

Luckily, she never lost consciousness. I called my friend whose husband is a nurse and asked what sorts of behavior I should be looking for since Reece had obviously landed on her head. Her pupils stayed the same size, she never had any type of seizure, and after a good nap that afternoon, was acting totally normal. I called an instacare later that evening (it was the weekend) and the nurse said we could bring her in if we were really worried, but based on what I had told her, she recommended that we just keep an eye on her for any changes in her behavior. We were so blessed that after the initial fall, she has never once seemed bothered by it at all. I felt/feel like the worst mom ever for not being more safe with her. Won't be making that mistake again!

Over this past week and a half, we've seen her eye go from bad to worse, and then on it's way to healing. It's actually looking much better than I ever would have expected at this point. It has been so sad to watch, but like I said above, at least she has never seemed bothered by it. We were so lucky that it didn't have a worse ending.

Day One (we thought this was bad...we had no idea how much worse it was going to get!)


Day Two in the morning


Day Two in the afternoon


Day Three (by far the WORST day!) in the morning


Day Three in the afternoon


Day Four


Luckily, most of the black/purple and swelling is gone. Her eye is just lovely shades of yellow and green now. Poor girl, she's been such a trooper!

12 comments:

suzanne said...

You are brave to post the pics! She sure was fine when we saw her and the difference from almost one hour to the next was amazing! Good mommy - resiliant daughter!

Camilla said...

Wow I noticed her eye last week Sunday and wondered what had happened. Don't worry I don't think you don't take care of and love your baby girl! Poor little thing, what a trooper.

Mendel Family said...

First off, YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM! Accidents happen to all of our kids on our watch. Luke rolled down the stairs behind me the other day and I felt so bad! We don't want to see our kids hurt! I love the pictures of the eye and how it changed. She is quite the trooper for it to not bother her! And her eye looked so much better on Sunday...in fact, it matched her dress :)

Sarah said...

I am glad she is ok and doing so good. I have to say seeing all the pics, I loved how happy she still was with that big black eye...and she is still so darn cute even with it!!

Stacy said...

Seeing her on Sunday, it already looked so much better... She's still a cutie even with a black eye !

nison (nic + allison) said...

You would never know anything was wrong with her - she acted like her crazy self. haha I cringed every time she would touch her eye and rub it - ahh! Amazing mom you are!

Haley Flowers said...

Poor thing! Its so cute how happy she is in all the pictures even though she has a black eye!

Bensons said...

Only Reece could look that cute with a black eye. Glad she was not bothered by it and remained her happy self! It's so hard when accidents happen, it totally does make you feel like a bad parent, but truly it's just part of being a parent to a little one. Stephen always says Heavenly Father makes children Parentproof hehe. ;) You are a wonderful mom, so never feel you aren't. :)

Sarah Jane said...

You are not a bad mother! She is a brave little girl, it really does look like it doesn't bug her at all. What a trooper. Hang in there Summer, it was an accident and you can't blame yourself!

jacque said...

That is a doozy (sp?) of a black-eye! I think we have all felt like a terrible mother one time (or maybe 10O) or another. I remember when my cart literally fell over on the side with both my kids on it....I thought someone was going to take my kids away from me right then and there!

SUNRYZEZ said...

You are soooo NOT a bad mom. You are so loving to your girls. Accidents happen- trust me, Ive had 2 emergency room visits w/ stitches for my girls to prove it. Glad she is starting to heal and not bothered by it =)

Sarah said...

Ouch! poor girl! I bet she will love to look at those pictures when she gets older! She is one tough chica!