Saturday, August 30, 2008

.:What's in there?:.

What's in there?

That's the question a first grader asked me on Friday about my belly. I just thought it was funny the way the he worded it!

To answer his question, what's in there is a little baby girl who got some practice at giving her parents grief this week! She hadn't been moving very much on Wednesday and Thursday, so I figured that I would give the doctor a call on Thursday just to be safe. It wasn't that she was not moving at all - just that she was not moving even close to as much as she had been before. I kind of figured that the doctor would just tell me that she is getting big and not able to move around as much.

Well, we ended up at the hospital instead for a non-stress test. First we had an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid level. That turned out great. The nurse also showed us her little beating heart, which of course was very reassuring! It was fun to see her again, even though we didn't get to see a ton. The nurse did confirm that the baby is head down, and she also showed us her spine and ribs. Then she strapped me up to some monitors. One monitor was recording the baby's heartbeat, and the other one was monitoring my contractions. The idea is to see how the baby responds to the contractions. She passed with flying colors! The nurse said the baby is doing great, and that we have nothing to worry about. She also said that I was contracting ever 2-4 minutes, and that each contraction lasted about 30-90 seconds. I'm not sure it totally means things are going to happen early, but the way the nurse was talking about it sure made it appear that way! Music to my ears! We are so excited to get this baby here!

So in light of that, I decided that I had really get serious about packing my hospital bag. I have about everything I think I could need out and ready. There will be a few last minute things to pack, but I feel that we'd be safe whatever happens now. We also spent this morning rearranging our garage so that we don't have to worry about that later on after the baby gets here.

Today is the first day of college football, so that's what we'll be doing this afternoon and evening!