Friday, October 24, 2008

.:Grateful for the fleas:.

I just got done reading a book for my book club - The Hiding Place. It is the story of two women who harbor Jews in their home during the Nazi regime, and how they end up in a concentration camp as their punishment when they are caught. Throughout it all, they are constantly turning to their Bible and to the Lord to get them through their trials. At one point in the book, they decide that they need to be grateful for EVERYTHING - even the bad things. So they pray for the fleas that are all over in their room. They didn't understand the reason for this until later, when they learned that the only reason the guards never came in to supervise them (which allowed them to worship out of the Bible and pray with the other women) is because of all the fleas in there.

So I decided that I need to be better about being grateful for all of the 'fleas' in my life. Here goes...

I'm grateful for:
- my flabby tummy: It is evidence of the miracle Josh and I created, that I got to carry for nine months and give birth to - our beautiful daughter!
- Josh working for 13 hours today: It allows me to stay home with our daughter and be a stay at home mom!
- waking up all throughout the nite: I get to spend time with our daughter, and share a closeness with her.
- living away from my family: It makes us appreciate the time we do get to spend together that much more!

On top of the 'fleas', I am grateful for a lot of other things too:
- Josh and all that he does to provide for our family
- Josh and I's relationship and marriage
- Josh's priesthood
- Reece
- the gospel
- my church calling (even though I don't always say it or act like it!)
- both Josh and I's family
- our ward
- my friends

Hopefully I'll remember to take time in the future to be more grateful for not only the good things in my life, but the 'fleas' too!