Sunday, December 6, 2009

.:The Accident:.

Want to feel like the worst mom ever? Get in a car accident being five months pregnant and with your one year old in the car, and then take your one year old to get two shots afterwards. That's what I did on Friday. Way to ruin someone's day, right?

Friday started out as not the greatest day. I was feeling stressed out after a busy week and a ton of errands to run on Friday. Apparently that left me feeling very distracted. On my way to take Reece to get her second doses of both her seasonal flu shot and h1n1 flu shot, I somehow managed to run a red light, hitting a car in the intersection. (Nope, not on my cell phone at all!) I realized my mistake but wasn't able to stop or swerve the other car completely. It was sickening to hear that sound and know that I had Reece in the car with me. Luckily, she was completely unfazed by the whole thing! She didn't cry or make a peep, and ended up falling asleep a few minutes after it happened.

The other driver and I were both able to pull off to the side of the road. She was SO nice about it all. We exchanged information, and I filed the claim with my insurance right then. Luckily, she also had Allstate insurance, so that waives our deductible. As long as her damage isn't over $50,000 then we won't have to pay anything out of pocket. I think we're safe there! My poor car looks pretty beat up. But all the insides seem to work just fine, so that is a blessing. We won't pay to fix the outside - the damage will cost over half of what the car is even worth. I'll just be driving around a beat up car. The bad part about that is that we were hoping to get a tiny bit of money out of it when we go to buy a new car in a year or two, and now that won't be possible. Oops.

I called my doctor's office, thinking they would just tell me to pay attention that the baby is moving x times per hour or something. We weren't going super fast, no air bags went off, and I know my seat belt was under my belly and nothing hit my belly. Well, she wanted me to come in to get monitored. Josh was at his clinicals, so I dropped Reece off at a friend's house (thanks Sarah!) and headed to labor and delivery.

They hooked me up and my doctor came to see me about four hours after I got there. She said the baby was looking 'gorgeous' - great heartbeat and just doing really well. But protocol was still to keep me there until it had been 24 hours since the time of the crash. Which meant a stay overnight in the hospital!

My mother in law came to get Reece and stayed at our house with her. (Thanks Kerri!) Josh stayed with me until almost 10:00 that nite, and then went home to get some sleep before work the next day.

I was monitored all throughout the nite. Apparently I was having some contractions (didn't feel them) but baby sister handled everything well, and those contractions went away after some rest. I was able to leave the next day at noon.

It was definitely not how I had planned to spend my Friday and Saturday. It was terrifying to think that something could have happened to Reece or baby sister because of my carelessness. I know my mommy guilt won't go away for awhile, but I'm so grateful that both of my girls (and the other driver!) are safe and sound. Josh was so wonderful about it all, and is even cracking jokes about it now! We really appreciate everyone who helped, visited, offered concern, prayers, and helped us out during that 24 hours! We're so blessed to have so many wonderful people in our lives!

6 comments:

Dani said...

I am so glad everyone is ok! What a blessing that nobody got hurt except your poor little car. How stressful! We have all had those forgetful mommy moments, the rest of us have just been lucky with the moments that we have them.

Mendel Family said...

I am pretty sure I wanted to cry while reading this, and I am just so glad that ALL of you are okay! These things happen to the best of us, we never know what will come our way. Someone was for sure watching out for you ;) We love you guys!

Camilla said...

Wow! That is actually one of my nightmares.....I can't believe it actually happened to you! I am so glad you and the babes are okay though!

Los Smith said...

Summer- so glad to hear you and the girls are doing ok, what a scare! I hope you continue to feel good and just know you are being watched, loved and cared for by our heavenly father :)

suzanne said...

Listen, you are not the first or last to have one of those moments where you really feel like rotten mommy! I can recall more than my fair share of them from over the years. The best thing to remember is everyone is okay - on both sides! So glad that baby girls, mommy girl, and lady girl in the other car are all healthy and happy. Cars can be fixed and replace - people, not so easily. Loves to all!

Sarah Jane said...

Summer, I'm so sorry. I need to check up on blogs more often! I am glad you are all ok and that nothing serious happened!