Saturday, January 10, 2009

.:Marley & Me:.

Josh and I had a date nite last nite, and went to the movies. We saw Marley & Me. I actually ended up liking this more than I thought I would. I could relate to a lot of the things that the couple went through in the movie: miscarriage, the joy of becoming a parent, the frustrations of becoming a parent, and having to put a pet to sleep. But what I was most surprised about is how quickly the miscarriage scene stirred up my feelings from when we had the miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy. It will be two years ago in March for the miscarriage, and two years ago in May for the ectopic pregnancy. While those were two of the most difficult things I've been through in my life, I also can realize now that they were such a small thing in the grand scheme of things. It felt like forever when we were going through them, but now, looking back, it seems to have gone more quickly than it felt. We have an almost four month old now! Those experiences, while extremely difficult, have definitely led me to be a more compassionate and caring person. I've learned a lot from what we've been through, and I can't say that I'm glad we went through it, but I am glad that we were able to learn from it. And I would go through it a hundred more times if that was how we had to do it to get Reece! She is SO worth it!

Another part of the movie that struck home for me was when they were going through some frustrations of being a parent, and they were talking about how they felt they had kind of lost the people that they used to be. I find that on my mind lately. I can hardly remember what Josh and I's life was like before I was pregnant or before I had Reece. I don't mean that negatively at all! We love Reece and are so happy to have her in our lives. But it is just interesting how your focus in life shifts when you have a child. Mostly in a good way, but you also have to remember to make time for not only yourself, but for your spouse as well. It's a balance that you have to achieve, and I need to work on that more!