Monday, June 1, 2009

.:Lately:.

It's hard to believe that it is already June! When did that happen? Time is going by way too quickly.

This past Saturday was the Youth Temple Celebration. Words can't even describe how incredible it was! About 7000 youth from our temple district (Oquirrh Mountain) participated, and I think close to the same participated for the Draper temple district. Each stake had a dance that they learned, and the youth had the opportunity to choose between doing the dance or being in the choir. It has been a lot of time for these kids and the leaders, and while I admit I grumbled about it sometimes, I feel so incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to participate. It was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. While I was watching it on Saturday nite, I was just so overcome with the Spirit. I don't think there was probably a person in the whole conference center who didn't feel it. I kept thinking how empowering for these youth to know that there were 7000 other kids there who had made the same committments that they had - to take the time to prepare and come closer to the Lord by being a part of the celebration. When President Monson walked into the conference center, it was amazing the reverence that was shown to him. Softly, people started singing We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet. It was so touching. I feel so grateful to work with the youth, and to have been a part of this whole experience. If you ever get a chance to watch the DVD of the performance, you should! Josh and I have both received assignments to volunteer at the open house of the temple, which starts today. We get to be ushers! I'm really excited to fulfill that assignment - it's not often you get to live right by a new temple and be a part of everything!

The theme of the celebration was Come Up to the Mountain of the Lord, meaning come up to the temple. Thinking about the theme just made me reflect on how thankful I am that we have temples, and that we live in a country where we are free to practice whatever religion we choose. It is such a blessing to know that I will be with Josh and Reece, our future children, and all of our family members forever. I love my family!

Other than that, we spent some time with Sam and Nikki this weekend. Pizza and the Wii - doesn't get much better! (I really stink at Mario Cart). It is so nice to live close to them and get to spend time with them often. Reece sure loves them, and they spoil her rotten! Yesterday we had dinner with Josh's family. It is fun to see Reece and Millie together. I think once Reece gets mobile, they are going to be trouble!

Josh has started his two online classes for the summer. He is doing a great job at staying on top of his reading and assignments. I don't know how he balances two jobs and two classes, but I'm sure grateful for all of his hard work! Even though we'll be living on loans come this fall, I'll be glad for him to not have to be so crazy busy all the time!

Reece has learned how to wave! She is not consistent with it yet, but it is so cute. The first of many tricks I'm sure! She is really close to crawling, too. She gets up on her hands and knees and rocks. She's pretty good at scooting and rolling wherever she needs to be! She has already discovered the DVD rack and the wallflowers! We had to lower her crib this past weekend. She was good at reaching up and over the front railing of her crib! Silly girl! She is just such a cutie, I can't get enough of her!

So that's what's been going on in our little lives. Nothing too exciting, but sometimes that's pretty good!

3 comments:

Camilla said...

I got chills and teary eyes reading about your Temple Celebration experience. Thanks! Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch it but I will if it gets on DVD.
I want to volunteer for the Temple Open House too, but I'll be doing daycare and don't know what I'd do with the little ones/my little one. What will you do with Reece?
Oh I bet Reece will start crawling soon! That's what Jonathan did right before he started! Just tempt her with something cool right out of her reach, and she'll start going soon enough!
And yeah, isn't it great when they discover the DVDs.....sigh.....

Dani said...

What an amazing thing to be a part of!! You are so lucky you live right there next to the new temple. What a great experience. Sounds like you had a fun weekend with that and playing with Sam & Nikki.

Mendel Family said...

That is so cool about the Temple Celebration! I bet it was amazing! Hey we should all do a Wii competition one night. We have a bunch of games too. I think it would be fun to barbeque one weekend, and have you guys and Sam and Nikki up! Put the kids down and play!